Recent Updates (Reviews, Profiles, Badges, Events)

• GameMaps (System)
    The ability to kick back, enjoy a cup of coffee, and read reviews are here!  Although you can read reviews and vote, you can't write new reviews just yet. The ability to write new reviews will be coming over the next few days as we make necessary improvements.  Well there is a lot to go over this week so lets get started!

Reviews
    You can now read reviews and vote for the reviews you agree or disagree with.  The review with the highest score that meets the criteria will be displayed. (see criteria below)   The ability to write new reviews and update your old reviews will be coming in the next few days. 

- The review with the highest score for the current version will be featured on the items details page.  If there are no reviews that fit this criteria it will display the latest review until more votes are populated. To ensure better quality reviews, there is an algorithm that takes into consideration the publishers opinion on the reviews they have received.  For example, if a publisher does not agree with a review they received they can vote 'thumbs down' and our algorithm will give it a lower accuracy score. (Score = The thumbs up/down located on each review.  Not the rating.)  Keep in mind the power of the community (as a whole) has the largest impact on review accuracy. 

- Players can click 'View all reviews' to read reviews. 
    - Reviews are now on a 1-10 rating scale.
    - Reviews indicate if they were posted during an older release.
    - When pressing thumbs up/down on a review it may take up to 1 hour for scores to take effect.
    - Publishers can disable reviews if they wish by visiting their files settings page. 

(Image showing a review seen on a details page or users profile)

Profiles
    User profiles have finally went through some upgrades and should now have a more inviting atmosphere.  If you have provided any social links they will now appear on your profile. In addition, these social links will appear on the members dashboard. 

- User reviews will now appear on profiles with a 'view all reviews' option.
     - Removed the file sub-categories and sort options on profiles. 
     - The large promo sliders have been removed from profiles. 

Note:  User profiles may take unusually long to load.  We are aware of the long loading times and will have this resolved shortly.

(Image showing awards, badges and social updates)

Badges
    You can now earn badges for your account!  All players who have participated in the GameMaps Beta will earn the Beta badge. If you have not received your Beta badge please be patient as it will appear shortly.  Badges are displayed on your account dashboard and on your profile. 

How do I earn badges?
    You can earn badges by participating in events and contests.  As long as you participate in the event you will always earn a badge for that event. Winning is not required. 

I missed an event/contest, will I be able to get the badge again later?
    All holiday events are annual events and you can earn the badge again next year.   For example if you did not participate in the Christmas event, you can participate next year and still get the xmas holiday badge.  'Contests' however are more unique and if you miss a contest you will need to wait until (if ever) that same contest runs again to earn that badge. 

Can I earn multiple badges for the same holiday?
    All holiday events are annual and will run every year.  You can earn multiple badges by participating in the same events annually.  

What is the difference between an event and a contest?
     - Events (mostly known for their holidays) run annually and never stop. If you miss an event, you can always participate again next year.  Events do not contain gifts or cash prizes unless the event becomes sponsored.  All participants will earn event badges and credits.  

- Contests are mostly unique and you may only have one opportunity to earn a contest badge.  Contests usually contain prizes, gifts, and other rewards based on the contest entries performance or votes.  All participants earn contest badges and credits.  

Events
    If you've been using the Beta then you probably noticed a couple events that have been running recently.   The events that are currently running is the Chinese New Year and Valentine's Day events.  Badges for these events are awarded on February 20th so be sure to get your entries in if you want your badges this year!  Remember, everyone who publishes or updates qualified items during this event will earn a badge and credits. 

Current Event Schedule
       - Chinese New Year 
       - Valentine's Day 
       - St Patrick's Day (upcoming)

As you see the St Patrick's Day event is up next!   Events are no secret; we will release an event calendar in the future. You can always get an early start on holiday events and begin making content.  Just keep in mind you wont know what the event requirements or rewards are until the event has actually started.

As always, thanks for supporting GameMaps!
    - The GameMaps Team

100% 0%
  • Awesome!

Quick idea: in the future let users run contest. User would give their own custom amount of credits as award.
    50% 50%
  • i could see that being abused just as much, if not more, as reviews.
    there's already enough of a struggle with general moderating (if any at all) until someone speaks up.
    0% 0%
  • Trunten, it's just a matter how to properly manage it so abuse doesn't happen. In case of my idea there would be limitations for example there would be a specific requirements that user will have to pass to be able to run contest, user can host only one contest per month, award credits would be limited to a certain amount, admins would have to approve or deny contest before releasing it to the public. 

Other modding websites have this feature and it works. 
    0% 0%
  • the question remains just how well they'd "properly manage" it.
    if it works well on other modding sites it's most likely because they actually have a decent number of staff.
    and the community knows how to act because of it.
    truth be told, too many trolls and other inappropriate users run around here because of the limited amount of staff.
    100% 0%
  • Are Daily achievements gone? Or on stand by? 
    0% 0%
  • @BL0U3
    Achievements are currently in development and undergoing upgrades.   The daily achievements have been removed, however there is a new and more efficient feature that will take its place shortly.

Edit:  You can now claim your daily VIP reward from the VIP area.  This has moved out of the daily achievements.
    0% 0%
  • This message has been removed by a moderator.

0% 0%
  • Btw, I have some small ideas related to comment section in a mod, but since I don't know where to put, maybe I'll put this here as this might be useful. Is it possible to make the pop-up box like this?

I often saw that most sites used a feature like this, like, when clicking something, instead of going to the new page, it will show a pop-up box with darkened background. I think this might solve the problem when an uploader/ author tries to find someone's recent reply on a comment buried by tons of comments, as well as when a member tries to find author's recent reply on a comment. It's kind of tiring to keep scrolling the comments to find the recently replied comment, so, making the box pops up when clicking on notifications in the "Activity" could help find the recent replies faster. It would also be more helpful if the author/ member can directly reply from the pop-up box.

Well, I think that's all from me for now. I hope that this might be a helpful suggestion to improve this site better & better.
    100% 0%
  • Can the search bar be back the way it used to be ? You used to be able to type in the box next to it but now you have to click to open a new tab
    100% 0%
  • this is awesome idea share love it.
    100% 0%
  • I liked the new layout
    100% 0%
  • Btw about profile, actually I've been wondering about something strange. This strange thing only happens when I open my profile from mobile view (with my phone). It's about the panels on the left I marked on this screenshot:

(This is the appearance of profile viewed in "Desktop Version" using phone. I turned on "Desktop Version" to try to find out something)
    ----------

(This one is viewed in default "Mobile Version". The panels on the left are missing. This was also the reason why for rather long time I couldn't find where to check notifications & edit mods when visiting beta site)
    ----------
    From the comparison of those two (mobile & desktop versions), I wonder if it's possible to make the panels on the left still appear on mobile version. If the space for mobile version is too narrow, "slide" feature could also be implemented. Like for example, in mobile version, add an arrow icon on the left, & when the arrow is touched, the left panels will begin to slide to the right & appear. Touching the arrow again will close the slide.
    I hope that this info could help much in preparing beta site for the upcoming official launching.
    100% 0%
  • We made the members area more accessible via mobile devices. 
    You can now use the top left icons to access the members areas. (see below)

100% 0%
  • @Mr. iLL: Thanks for the help, Mr. iLL. Now I won't be confused anymore when trying to browse & upload via mobile version.
    0% 0%