Recent Updates (Reviews, Guides, Updates)

• GameMaps (System)
    In this announcement we will go over the new reviews system, guides and other notable updates.  Without delay, let's get started!

Reviews
    We have finally launched the new reviews system and you can begin writing reviews for any downloadable file!    Although reviews are simple and easy to use, it's highly versatile and contains many essential new updates.  (starting below)

Read/Like Reviews
    When you visit a file and scroll down you will see a featured review (if available), or you can be the first person to write a review.     If there is a featured review already displayed, click the "View all reviews" button to enter the reviews area.   From here you can read reviews or choose to write a new review.

Image showing locations to write reviews.

When reading reviews you can choose to '👍️ Like this review' to help inform other players.  Liking reviews helps the system formulate a featured review for the current version.  If a file has been updated, the featured review will change to a more relevant review based on the current version.  If there are no new reviews yet, it will show a review from the previous version.

Image showing how users can like reviews.

Write Review
    When you are writing a review you must first select the items playability. (see below)  This new feature is intended to validate and verify the downloaded file is still working. 

Does not work - You can't play because it wont install, load, or function. 
    Works, but has issues - You are able to play, but you experienced issues.
    Works as intended -  The item worked as intended without many issues. 

Image showing the write review process and options.

Review Ratings
    When writing a review you must choose a rating with the minimum score being 2 and the maximum being 10.   Changing the score by moving the slider left or right will also affect the number of stars accordingly.  If you have an active VIP membership then you will have access to flexible ratings. (see below) 

Standard Ratings -  Members can select a score in increments of two.  (2, 4, 6, 8, 10) 
    Flexible Ratings - VIP members can choose any number between 2 -10 including decimals. (Example, 8.8)

Spoilers / Images
    You can now mark if your review contains spoilers or not.   If your review contains spoilers the review will be blacked out and the players must click  to reveal the text. (see image below) The review title and rating will still be displayed. In addition, you have the ability to attach a screenshot or image to your review.  This may useful to show evidence of problems to justify your review. 

Image showing a review blacked out because it contains spoilers.

Outdated Reviews
    A review can become outdated if it was written before the latest release.  In this event, you will be given the option to 'Update' your review. You can view your outdated reviews by navigating to  My Account > My Reviews > Outdated Reviews  (see image below)

Image showing how to access your reviews.

There are one of 3 options available for your reviews at any given time.

Write Review - This option allows you to write your first review. 

Edit Review - You can only edit reviews until the item has been updated.  For example, once a Map has been updated all older reviews can no longer be edited. Instead, a "Update Review" option will become available. 

Update Review - This function only becomes available if a new update was posted after your review was written.  This allows you to update your review in conjunction with the latest release. This will also reset your review date and it will appear like a new review.

Verified Content
    Verified content is a new feature made possible by the new reviews system.   When you write a review you can select if the item 'worked' or 'Did not work'.  This data plays an important role in the files 'Verification %' which is displayed on the items details page. (see below)  

The percentage of players who verified this file as working.

Reviews - Pending Updates 
    These features are still in development.
    - Allow publishers to reply to reviews they received.  This allows publishers to have the last say, say thanks, or follow up with an action.
    - Allow publishers to disable outdated reviews from being featured.
    - Fix reviews so a score of 9+ is equivalent to 5 stars.

Guide Updates
    Guides are still in ongoing development and you may have noticed new updates. We have listed some  

- Publishers can choose a cover image for their guide.
    - You can now 'like' guides and award guide publishers.
    - Reading guides has been improved. 
    - Added the ability to report guides for abuse.

Image showing updated guides page.

--------

Additional Updates
    - When an account is banned; The users forum posts, comments, reviews, and profile data will also be censored.
    - The Salt Lake server is discontinued and will no longer be an available download option.   We will upgrade the current server to support download managers in the near future. 

What to expect next...
    One of our most anticipated updates will be coming next, and that's publishing!   The entire publishing process for maps, mods, and guides will be upgraded.  We look forward to releasing these updates and we appreciate your patience. 

Thanks for Supporting GameMaps!
    - The GameMaps Team
    100% 0%
  • About the review, is it possible to give like half star? Sometimes I wanted to give like 3.5 stars instead of 4  stars, but there are only one full star when I dragged the rate scroll. & I just noticed about the image icon near the "Post Review" button. I wonder what's the function of that image icon. I haven't got a chance to try it, maybe I'll try to click that image icon on the next review later.
    100% 0%
  • @kurochama
    It is possible to support half stars and I will bring this up with the team.  The image button allows you to attach a screenshot or image to your review.  This can be useful for capturing major issues or referencing a certain point in the review. I noticed you are using a period to create a new space/paragraph in the reviews.  Are you experiencing any formatting issues?   Appreciate the feedback
    100% 0%
  • @Mr. iLL:
    I see. So if using that screenshot there will be an image preview when the review is hidden by spoiler alert? Or the image preview appears even when spoiler alert is lifted?

That period, I used that because, unlike discussion section when adding a space is possible, on comments, item details & review the next paragraph would automatically be put right below the previous paragraph even if I added a space.  So that's why I put period (.) on the next line to create a space so people could read my long comment/ review more easily. I haven't checked again after this big update yet, so I still don't know if adding a space after a paragraph is now possible to do, or I still need to add a period to make a space between paragraphs.
    100% 0%
  • Btw I just tested the image upload on the review & I think it's a cool idea, as that can be used to show where the bugs are. But this feature probably might need more upgrades. For example, I added a review here: https://beta.gamemaps.com/details/27040 . On that map mod, originally I planned to add several images at once because there were some small bugs at different locations. But when testing the upload, I found out that this feature only allowed one image. So I improvised by editing the images first & then I uploaded as one image.

Probably if this image feature can use multiple images, it would be cool as I won't have to edit if I have several images to post on a review. Well I think that's all I said for today. I hope that this info could help improve the review feature.
    100% 0%
  • To add what kurochama said about images. It would be better to make images open in popup window like it is now in mod page. Currently in review when you click on image it opens in new tab.
    100% 0%
  • hey kurachama!
    thank you so much for using my friend's map as an example.
    perhaps this will help inspire him to continue working on it.
    i'm sure he'll really appreciate your feedback, thank you!
    100% 0%
  • @greenhood: That pop-up window is also a good idea. I've also seen that many sites use that feature too, especially image-hosting sites.

@Trunten: No problem. I actually planned to give a review there sooner or later when the review feature was back online. I did the review because that map is one of good maps I ever played. I hope that my review could help improve that map.
    Btw you could also share some ideas from uploader's/ author's view about review feature if you want. So far I could only give ideas as someone who made reviews, & I still haven't checked how a review looks like from author's/ uploader's view, like what review settings are available as the uploader/ author who received a review. Probably there are some review settings from uploader's/ author's side that you might want check in case if there are also some parts that need improvements about review management from uploader's/ author's view.
    100% 0%
  • Btw about review feature, I forgot to ask. Are there any prerequisites to make a review? On the old review feature, if I'm not mistaken the review feature was without prerequisite so even a brand new member could give a review. & that was also what led to "troll review incident" in which lots of new members (more exactly new accounts made by one or some persons) put lots of 1-star review on contents they disliked. & that incident gave great disadvantage to the uploaders/ authors who became the victim of troll reviews as it might ruin their reputation although actually their contents were actually not that bad.

I wonder if there's a countermeasure for "troll review" like that on this new review feature.
    100% 0%
  • Trust me, I've brought this up to iLL many times, but it sounds like he insists on continuing to try to give reviews a chance.
    Even just simple basic thumbs up or down would be sufficient enough.
    Yea, even that could be abused, but at least it wouldn't knock down any legit scores.
    It would just simply show X or Y number of thumbs up or downs... and perhaps over a period of time they could still be pruned.
    Think of it like a job you work in real life where they use a "points system".
    For example, if you're late or call off, it adds up (or down?) and you lose points...
    However, after some time, like a few months for example, it "resets".
    We already have the ability to leave regular normal comments, there was nothing wrong with that (for the most part).
    And at least we had better control of it and could delete abusive comments (including social banning users).
    But with reviews, they'd still be stuck there unless you ask Rayman or iLL to moderate.
    Removal of being able to report users was just one big mistake but at least they realized that and it's returning.
    And they seem to have learned their lesson with the big mistake of guest comments.
    100% 0%
  • In order for a member to write a review they need to be a member for at least 7 days. The account must also have an avatar provided.  In addition, there is a user positivity threshold being added to reviews, more details about this will be in the next news announcement. The team is currently working on allowing publishers to reply to reviews, so I anticipate this will be releasing shortly as well.

PS:  Reviews can now contain half stars. 👍️
    100% 0%
  • I'm glad authors can reply to reviews as the last time I looked I still have a very negative but very old review of Left 4 Dead 2.75 at the top, and the way I see it that is so outdated it really isn't fair to me.  Don't get me wrong I don't think I deserve special treatment, but right now it gives the impression that mod which is actually quite highly regarded here and on Steam is trash.  But it was the very first version of it reviewed (the current version is 3.1), and that was years ago!

Since I'm retired it doesn't matter what people think of my stuff as much anymore, but authors that are still active could be affected negatively by bad reviews obviously.  It might discourage them from making more mods, so it is great they can now rebutt the bad reviews.

Kudos also to the staff for having half stars allowed in reviews by the way.
    0% 0%
  • @mr. iLL:
    I see. So, does that mean that if a  member has a bad reputation as a reviewer, that member won't be able to  post review until he/ she gains better reputation?

& thanks a  lot for implementing the half stars. This will make the star rate more flexible.
    0% 0%
  • Btw I wanted to report something strange about the star rate on certain map mod. I discovered this when I wanted to try a map: https://www.gamemaps.com/details/27093

As we can see there, it's still a new map with few comments & no review yet. But somehow when viewing that map from old site, it already has one-star rate. When I check other mods that are not rated yet, they still showed zero star. The preview is like this:
    =====

(View from old site)
    =====

(View from beta site. The review box was still empty there)
    =====

I wonder if this is kind of a bug or not.
    0% 0%
  • Btw I haven't checked via beta site yet, but is the ability to reply a review already implemented now? I got a reply notification from my review & there was one replying. & when I tried to reply him on my review via old site, I could reply him too. 
    0% 0%