As of Sept. 14th, 2017 this mod is also available on the Steam Workshop.
First of all, thanks Vale for teaching me how to make script mods! Well, after 300 reviews now I'm on the other side of the fence.
This mod gives you 17-shots of BUCKSHOT with any handgun, including the magnum! I've wanted this type of mod for years but haven't seen it anywhere. It just always bothered me that modern pistols often give you 17 shots, but you only get 15 even though one of the pistols is the Glock G17, a 17-shot gun. And worse yet, I prefer magnums but I'd only get 8 shots if I used them.
I tested this on single player, but in theory it would work on local (non-Steam) servers. But I have no way to test that, so I don't know.
This mod has the following advantages:
* You can kill any special most of the time with just one shot, and always with a 2nd shot.
* It was tested by playing thru 10 campaigns and there wasn't a single crash (so don't blame my mod if your computer crashes, OK?)
* If you are knocked down your odds of survival are now much higher, because you can kill any nearby zombie with one shot.
* There's no compromise anymore if you want to use the magnum, because it has 17-shots too. And of course it has even more power and penetration than the pistols.
* Handguns have infinite reloads, so you don't have to worry about finding an ammunition pile before running out.
* Just one shot will often kill multiple commons, especially when they are bunched together and it can do so even at a distance.
* It is now possible to use the handgun as your primary weapon because it has more than enough power to keep you alive. But at the same time 17 shots is far less than with many guns, so the game isn't too easy (except on Easy skill level.)
A word of advice: this mod should always be used with a mod that prevents friendly fire from doing damage, because obviously it will be easy to hit teammates who walk into your line of fire.
Personally I like using this with Friendly Fire Nevermore and Additional Melee Slot so I can switch between the handgun and a melee weapon at will. And I can still carry explosives.
Constructive criticism is welcome, I'm new at this after all.